Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

To Whoever Cares....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Whoever Cares....

This is NJL's son....

NJL is also Nikkio for any of you old timers....those who go back to setpro and batspeed.com and beyond.

The son attends a Duke University. He was drafted out of high school but chose college. He and NJL attended the North Carolina clinic in Jan 2010....along with cartersball and his son Boomer.

As you know, each clinic started with a 'dads session'....where the theory of the swing is explained and demonstrated and then shown in clips of high level professional hitters....to the dads. The idea is the dad is the eyes of the kid.....he will become the coach.

At the dads session, NJL took special time to explain to me his son, how he learns, that he is very cerebral, and he spent a lot of time on the son's college coach. How the coach won't give his son a fair chance. That his freshman year was less than spectacular....and in fact.....disappointing due to the treatment of his son by the coach. It was explained to me that in their minds they could not figure out how playing time was distributed....and it seemed to be distributed unevenly with certain players getting favored. Their goal was to become so good the coach could not ignore

The clinic itself started with just cartersball and Boomer and me. We probably worked for a couple of hours before NJL and son arrived. His college schedule interfered somewhat with the clinic. When he arrived, Boomer took a break and NJL and son got my full attention for several minutes. Then I worked with Boomer as they watched. Then I finished with NJL and son.

NJL's son picked things up pretty quickly. He would ask questions, I would explain...then he would attempt. I would make a suggestion. He would change. Fairly quickly the above clips were developed. AND.....BOTH NJL and son were REAL happy with the results of his swings....the feeling of quickness and suddenness.

It wasn't but a couple of weeks later that I got these from the son....

He was extremely frustrated. He could not duplicate what he had done at the clinic. We exchanged several emails and clips. He never once provided a clip showing the good he did at the clinic. You can see from these clips that he had lost 'it' and was having difficulty finding it.

Shortly thereafter, NJL started disputing my postings and started posting things incompatible with the high level pattern. I pointed out what he was saying wrong. It got to be so often that it appeared NJL had abandoned what he learned at the clinic. He got off on 'torso rotation around the spine' and 'swing in the plane of the shoulders' kick. I finally came down hard on him and he left. Haven't heard from him since.

The son continues to read the site. He logs on as NJL.....I can tell by the IP address that it is him and not the dad.....and reads. I've followed his stats at Duke....and I sent a PM offering to help.....and help secretly if need be.

He has never responded.

My impression, based on my experience with NJL and son, is there is a rift between them....and a rift between NJL and me.....that keeps him from asking for help. The son respects dad.....but dad continues to put nonsense in his head....nonsense that doesn't blend with what is taught here.....and the son suffers as he gets bits and pieces of differing hitting techniques. ANd....he is too respectful of dad to take ownership of his swing himself, divorce from dad, and ask me for help.

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that he can do what I teach. He can do it fairly quickly. And that success will follow once he gets to doing what he did at the clinic. He said things like "wow, I've never felt that before"....and...."this is really quick"....etc etc.

The hour we spent together was very good.....he 'got it'.....but not enough to engrain it....and when he was on his own he couldn't find it.

P.S. I get a big kick out of deemax and chapter's comments about his weight rolling outside his rear foot. You can stop the rear foot from doing that by telling them to stop it. That's it. Just say.....STOP DOING IT. What neither of them can see is the suddenness that comes from a drive train and from a barrel turn. They miss the forest for the trees. deemax is simply a scouts son. His knowledge on hitting would not fill a thimble.

Thanks I never was in tune with that whole story.

Comment

For those who wonder what is missing above....the largest thing missing is rearward barrel turn.

He wants to do it....but he's too late. He shifts then wants to swing.

Watch his rear thigh. When it starts coming/turning forward....he should be suddenly yanking....suddenly turning....the barrel rearward against that forward leg turn. Instead he is lifting his hands to their launch position. They should already be there so he can turn the barrel against that leg turn.

See it here?....

See the barrel turn against the rear leg?

He got out of sequence. He spends his rear leg when he shifts to the front leg. Then there is nothing left to power the barrel turn.

Comment

NJL is logged on at this very moment.

The IP address says....

wl-west1-pat.netcom.duke.edu

I could be wrong, but I think the kid believes in what he felt at the clinic but can't produce it now on his own.

I offered to help privately quite a while ago. He has not responded.

Comment

All of what Teach said is exactly how I recall things at the clinic. This kid could and still can hit very well. Boomer and I attended a game and saw him batting high in the order with a starting role. I remarked after the game to dad about what I saw as some indecisiveness at the plate. Mental approach stuff. I suggested that either SB or Tewks would be good people to talk to about that. I was even involved in some email conversations with dad and SB. Shortly thereafter the Kentucky Stretch stuff happened and we all know where things went from there. I was surprised that SB would pull that clip out and post it in that manner. That was the point of my breaking my BBD silence. He was outright blaming Teach for something he classified as mental approach errors and a tough college coach. So I called him out on it.
          Only you can accomplish what you dream to.

Comment

Did anything further transpire from this? Did the son ever play pro ball?

Comment

Working...
            X