Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

The Whip Test....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Whip Test....

....coming tomorrow....after I get permission to use someone's clips.

It is very simple....quite good....very revealing....easy to understand.

The test offers a convincing combination of 'feel' and 'see'.

For HI.com only.

And for those not convinced, it should convince you that the hitter on the right is not whipping.

Permission received....as long as I post Lynnelles new and improved future swings for redemption. Fair enough. She is a pleasure to work with.

There are several members who try to duplicate everything I do in an effort to learn so they can be more effective with their kids.

Lynnelle is one of them. And in our exchange last night some very revealing things happened. Things that I'm certain exist in 90% of everyone here....things that are misconceptions....misunderstandings....that keep them from the pattern.

First she offered this....

while attempting this....

Can YOU see the difference?

Then we talked and she came back with this....

An improvement....much better.....but something still not right.

I then asked her to add the next step....add the handle torque as she does the same thing that she was doing above. This was offered....

Compare it to this....

What do YOU see?

Comment

Neither of us move our hands from our rear shoulder as we turn the corner.

I whip. She pushes.

Why?

Comment

When I asked Lynnelles what she saw she was VERY INSIGHTFUL....and said....

I tend to lift up (thrust upward) with my body and arms at about mid-turn.
        To which I responded....

Mid-turn is the very key word
        Why?

Comment

She bled the corner in each clip.

Why?

Comment

My answer.....

Mid-turn is the very key word you used. And you are absolutely correct.

Can you see yourself turn forward....ever so slightly.....then swing. I can feel it immediately as I see the swing. But it is easiest to pinpoint by watching your legs/hips. Watch yourself turn open first....then start your barrel. When you turn open....even though the hands didn't move in relation to the body....they just moved in front of the hip and the hip pushes....and the arms push forward even though the hands are also turning the barrel.

I launch and spend....from the beginning. My handle torque happens at the same time my hip turn begins. I send my barrel into an arc.....a steady consistent arc because the hpp and rhpp are both turning together simultaneously.

My snap stop looks smoother because there is much more time between my launch and my stop. I launch and spend....before the corner....then stop. You turn the corner first....slightly....then launch and then stop all in a short time frame making it difficult to do....make it look like work.
            Read the bold.

Read it again.

And again.

And again.

Comment

Lynnelle read it and asked.....

I don't understand how turning the hip open moves the hands in front of the hip? Shouldn't hip rotation physically place the hands further behind the hip?
              Hmmmmm

Good question.

Anyone have an answer to offer?

I do....and it is EXCELLENT....IMO

It is what you pay $20/mo for.

Comment

In this part of the exchange, I also said this....

BTW....what you do in that clip....is exactly what happens with what Power teaches. His son starts so far 'forward' (meaning 'around the corner')....rear knee pre-turned down and in....that it is impossible for the hands to get behind the hip. He has bled the corner in his stance.

You start fine but then open slightly. Your slight opening is equivalent to Cheyenne's open start (rear knee down and in)

It may help you guess the answer.

Comment

Here is my answer....I have never claimed any of my answers 'Hall of Fame'.....Tom usually does that. This is my first self-endorsed 'Hall of Fame' answer. In other words....yes....I'm patting myself on the back right now. This is good. This will help you 'read' video.

The question is.....will you 'get this' NOW....or later.

Does this 'fit' your current need? Or will it go over your head until this need becomes current to you?

Anyway....

It is a difficult thing to explain....but I think you can feel it.

But....it has to do with the corner. You can't whip without a corner. The corner is between the rear hip and the hands. When your hip turns forward your hands come forward with it even though they are at the same spot in relation to the body.

Try this.

Stand facing a wall with bat on shoulder. Look at the wall in front of you to help you stay square to it. When you feel you are square, then turn in your rear hip 90 degrees so as to turn the belly button to the pitcher. When I do this my hip feels like it is pulling the barrel.

Now....set up the same way. But turn say 30 degrees and stop. Hands should not have moved in relation to the body. So, you are no longer square to the wall. Now turn, in the hip, the remaining 60 degrees to get your belly button to face the pitcher. When I do this my hip feels like it is pushing my barrel.

Comment

Lynnelles responded....

The full 90 degree turn feels like the barrel is pulled (there is not feel of a push at all).

When I stop at 30 degrees and then turn the remaining 60 degrees it is a pushing/much less powerful feeling.

That is a great FEEL demonstration

Comment

Cheyenne has bled the corner....IN HIS STANCE.....he has no chance to whip....can't get behind the rear hip....has about a 60-70 degree turn....which will ALWAYS be accompanied with a push. This is the earliest corner bleed I've ever seen.

ALWAYS.

Ryan swings from behind the corner.

Comment

but tiddies says:

Your absolutely correct on keeping the focus on the base (the move) and not the hands. The hands need to be slaved to the base so that the energy can be transferred and steered to the ball......

IMO using the hands (stretch) to dictate the timing will never win over the base. So I say let the hands stretch as a result of the move so the real power source and timing isn't compromised

Read more: http://www.baseballdebate.proboards....#ixzz1CvceoOqg

Comment

Almost every clip posted here.....has a corner bleed. The kids are not 'getting' a one legged drive train....they aren't feeling it....they aren't getting loaded properly....so they rely on.......

MOMENTUM

That slight little corner bleed Lynnelles shows....is a NEED for momentum. And the need is there because there is no one legged drive train.

Momentum is needed when there is no load against resistance. When the load is just turning back to get more 'range of motion' with which to go forward.

Momentum is needed when there is no 'thumb against the forefinger' type load.

Momentum is needed when the forward act doesn't happen until go....meaning....there is nothing pulling forward against rear side resistance PRIOR to go. There must be a forward action attempt without movement....because of the resistance....before go.

Comment

Originally posted by tom.guerry View Post
                            but tiddies says:

Your absolutely correct on keeping the focus on the base (the move) and not the hands. The hands need to be slaved to the base so that the energy can be transferred and steered to the ball......

IMO using the hands (stretch) to dictate the timing will never win over the base. So I say let the hands stretch as a result of the move so the real power source and timing isn't compromised

Read more: http://www.baseballdebate.proboards....#ixzz1CvceoOqg
                            I believe tiddies means well.

I know tiddies has no idea what creates the high level swing.

Comment

Teacherman

That slight little corner bleed Lynnelles shows....is a NEED for momentum. And the need is there because there is no one legged drive train.
                              Momentum is needed when there is no load against resistance.
                              I had a hard time feeling a load in my rear hip when I didn't have the resistance from the pelvis coil, scap retraction or the barrel turn when I was just trying to demo the rear hip turn only. In my first attempt, I added a pelvic coil, but I also incorrectly added spinal rotation. So...what do I need to do differently to get a one legged drive train in this drill? Am I supposed to coil my pelvis rearward so I have something to load against?

Momentum is needed when there is no 'thumb against the forefinger' type load.

Momentum is needed when the forward act doesn't happen until go....meaning....there is nothing pulling forward against rear side resistance PRIOR to go. There must be a forward action attempt without movement....because of the resistance....before go
                              In the turn the rear hip drill, the pelvic rearward coil is analogous to the thumb, correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X