Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Swingbuster's Top Hand Drill

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingbuster's Top Hand Drill

Excellent Drill. The simple mechanism that gets it all together. Vertical start, lead shoulder lowered, hip coiled, barrel floats backward, hips open, separation created, easy natural shift, swivel accelerated.

In teaching this stuff to my son, the biggest hurdle was getting him to realize that although this is more movement over a longer time period, the swing is actually shorter. Instead of saying "go" from a dead start, you are saying "go" from a running start that is very controlable. There is much more preswing movement yet it is just as easy to check this swing as the dead start swing. But, HOLY COW, the benefits are HUGE.

Compared to Mankins THT drill this barrel starts tipped in Dmacs "tip and rip" position

Comment

Good drill. You could teach it to a real young kid and he would be able to pick up the feel of how a running start gets started.

Comment

When I changed our best hitter over to T&R last year we were doing this drill and I never mention the word but he said out of the blue " I get it ; it feels like a whip"

I smiled............

Comment

Very cool drill. Will have to try that one with MJ, when he is feeling better. That crud is going around. One thing I am not sure if anyone wants to comment. His hand sure gets in front of his body. doest stay out over the plate (at contact).

Mike
          Last edited by mike28nc; 12-21-2006, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Mike.

I do not think hands staying out over the plate is an absolute. The rear elbow is going to slot in tight eventually.

Not sure you need that much room between the hands and the body . If you stay out there too much your elbow action can get restricted.

Mankins description of independent " shoulder action" is enlightening

The lead shoulder coming down and THEN the late stage in internal loading action LASTLY of the rear shoulder ( where the tip of the rear elbow becomes visable) front view just before foot plant

The soft toss HR swing posted by the top hand drill might be enlightening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WAjIO0_JTI

Comment

I can't see the top hand drill - can someone post a clip?

Comment

Testyrsttest

Comment

Working...
                X