Announcement

Collapse

Step One For New Members

If you are reading this, you are in the main forum....where all the good discussion and exchange of ideas occurs.

Instructional threads are 'stickied' to the top of this forum page in an effort to get new members to see the work that gets done here. There are 5 different threads of a dad and his kid, going through the HittingIllustrated process. They are quite instructional. I think you'll be impressed with what you see. The kid's progress is amazing. One of them is now a D1 player who chose college after being drafted. Another is a DII college player. A third is his brother who is now in high school. The fourth is a current high school freshman. And the fifth is my son who is now out of college and playing amateur fastpitch softball. Take a look. The terminology is likely to confuse you at first. But do your best to understand.

Then, there is another forum titled The Second Engine, found just below this one on the main page, which consists of 18 threads that have been chosen as 'good reads' for new members to get 'up to snuff' on what is taught here.

It is my recommendation that you spend your first hour or so in that forum reading those threads. Then, come here to ask questions. We love it when clips of hitters are posted.

And here is a link to an Instructional Starter Pak. It has the basic information. There are many details that go with each step that are too cumbersome to put in the Pak.

Instructional Starter Pak

MAKE THE BEST USE OF YOUR TRIAL PERIOD
POST A CLIP OF YOUR SON OR DAUGHTER
I'LL GIVE YOU AN ANALYSIS AND A RECOMMENDATION.

If I were you, I'd concentrate on figuring out what the Hand Pivot Point and what the Rear Hip Pivot Point are....and how they are synced together to create the high level swing.

Welcome.
See more
See less

Mini-Pronk

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks all,

Mud: I wish I had that. I think the kids really need to hear some stuff from someone else. However I don't trust any of these yokels. I see the stuff they teach and it's rubbish, so I am stuck.

Teach I felt like that left clip was the first I'd seen where there was a hint of drive train. Looks funny with the hands back kind in a non-smooth way, but but the curved in foot seems to help get that backside stretch.

Comment

• Before I get into this Steath you must have taken some clips of mini when you said his hands were too high can you share those? I might want to show #1 here his hands get in a pretty tough position. Or that if you want to swing from here let them rise up to this height as the back hip is pivoting (pujols). Anyway would be nice to see one of those weak grounders you mentioned compared to the HR to show the kid.

Curved foot --sort of-- worked out well. I think it only worked out well in the sense of being more ready to swing. I didn't get a clip of the first hit but he was 3-4 with each of the first three hits resulting in an RBI, nice in a 6-5 win over your rival. This is the public school many of his old LL and travel ball teammates play on so it was nice to beat them. Also his old travel ball coach Black Jack McDowell helps run the program over there and his 6'5" freshman son was playing against us. For at least a day Steven was the man at the plate compared to the kids on the other team (and ours). Good to see him get some mojo, he really went into a slump after I told him we were moving to FLA.

First hit -- Mom tardy with camera, hard grounder past the 3b over the bag, but not enough for a 2B.

2nd hit -- Can't figure this out. He blistered this ball, to score a kid from 1st and it was an easy stand up double. Yet when I look at the clip I can't believe this was the stand up double. Same old foot slippage I asked him if we could practice in metal cletes more often.. I am guessing if he can lick this problem with the back foot, the ball goes over the fence instead of into it. Good to know with inefficiencies he's still this strong. I was expecting this clip to be the best but it's kind of meh. One thing that is subtle but I want to build on is that he doesn't turn the knob to the oppo box nearly as much as he had been. I do want to build on that. FWIW he told me the swing didn't feel that great he was surprised he hit it so hard.

3rd hit got us the lead back in the 5th after they'd battled back to a tie. Nothing special but the speed of the pitcher really surprised him. He was an old travel ball teammate who frankly wasn't very good at 12 and he forgets other kids improve too. Still this had top spin and went through the hole with runners on 2nd and 3rd. They wanted him to go that way, so what the hell first three times up went pull side, LCF then RF.

Finally a flyout to RF. This was a weak flyout to straightahead RF not a 320 foot out. Here I see a lot more giving up the elbow sync. Builder would scream at him here. Now to a degree he does this on all the pitches, but here I think he really turns the knob to oppo batter's box which messes up the triangle and costs him a frame. The beauty of taking film was he now sees the difference between turning the knob directly toward the ball vs. turning it towards the batter's box.

Comment

• I don't see a lot of leverage and see mostly his upper doing the work.

Without looking through the past clips, is he always that tall?

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo34 View Post
          I don't see a lot of leverage and see mostly his upper doing the work.

Without looking through the past clips, is he always that tall?
          Yes and we've discussed that a lot in the thread. Also on the tall part yes.

He'll never have lower body leverage until he learns to stay over the ball of his foot. He let's the weight get on the heel and the rear hip can't pivot.

Comment

• Ok, I thought so but figured it'd be easier to ask the host.

I'd sit him down an inch or two during drill work so that he has no choice but to get into his legs and feel them working. Get that feel down and go from there.

Comment

• Add a little poke and lets see what happens.

Comment

• Pronk - let me see what I can find. I did tape over some stuff...........
                "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronk View Post
                  Tried to get some work in today. After the other thread where I was doing the jut lines. After watching the ridiculous uppercut swing he tried to incorporate the slight forward tip. Not too bad, but the syncage issues persist. I think after the game tomorrow assuming we don't get rained out, we might want to dry swing some drills whereby with the forward tip we start the belly button. He is dense and the hip pivot is just foreign at this point for some reason unknown to me. Rather than wring his neck, we have to find a way for him to feel it, so we'll stay after it. Mostly line drives but at times he really lost stretch (did in these too but not as drastically)

This one really hammered.. These are moderately better than the hammer from the other day. The forward tip at least seems to delay the hands moving back so that it's closer to them arriving to launch point on time (and not early). Still not there. After looking at some stuff tonight I think I know where we need to go.

Pronk, I really think the sequence will come if he consciously starts his step in first before even moving his hands. He's looking pretty good...
                  "I don't set goals. I set standards." Wade Boggs

Comment

• Pronk,
                    I like these most recent BP session swings. FWIW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                      Add a little poke and lets see what happens.
                      Thanks all the stuff. Teach I really think I might need to encourage the hands to come down a little. As much as I hate LAE, his bottom arm is in a tough spot for leverage. I am hoping to bring it down a little and see if we can get the poke being kind of triangle-ish if you will instead of only back arm-ish.

Still time spent turning the knob directly at the 2B instead of turning it to oppo box (flattening) and then getting busy would be time well spent too. And if you have some poke it's that much easier to do this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronk
                        see if we can get the poke being kind of triangle-ish if you will instead of only back arm-ish.
                        Why not make it hand-ish.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lclifton View Post
                          Why not make it hand-ish.?
                          Well it is. But... What I mean is elbows moving in sync as if a bar was between them. Yes you control with hands, but if elbows are in a tough place. His lead arm is so bent that it never get "past the belly button". It's basically stuck which can cause temptation to pull the back arm open to poke. You lose the pinch, and become armsy.

Comment

• How about more poke from rear hip coil action.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teacherman View Post
                              How about more poke from rear hip coil action.
                              I think I see what you mean. It's clear he feels a need to do something with the hands during the coil. That something ought to be using the hip coil to get "poked". Ideally when that back knee is going he's got just enough held back to separate the hands from the back hip. Something like that?

Comment

• Pronk, does this clip / this view capture your "more triangle-ish" poke thought?

Comment

Working...
                                X